• CoT history5

  • CoT history6

  • CoT history4

  • VH


 

Clifton-on-Teme: 1899

A valuable horse, the property of Mr John James of the Thrift Farm, was choked to death on Thursday last. The horse was in the shafts of a cart conveying a quantity of timber towards Whitebourne Ford. In descending the hill, the timber, being of considerable weight, gradually slipped to the back of the vehicle and overbalanced the horse. A portion of the harness broke, and the horse was suspended in the air and soon choked to death by its collar.


The Old Forge

The Old Forge 1965

Clifton-on-Teme: 100 Years Ago

A man named William Cunningham, whilst lighting a lamp at Clifton-on-Teme on Saturday evening, fell and the wheel of a vehicle which was passing at the time went over his left leg, breaking it. He was taken to the Cottage Hospital at Bromyard.

 

Pitlands Farm

Pitlands Farm

Clifton-on-Teme: 100 Years Ago

TENNIS CLUB

The Tennis Club recently constituted in Clifton is in every respect successful. It is sincerely hoped that the enterprise, although of tender age at present, may long live in Clifton and that such an enjoyable recreation as tennis may be as eagerly patronised in the future by the subscriber and visitor as it has been during the current season.


An Anglo-Saxon Settlement

 

Although there is evidence of Roman occupation in the area around Clifton-upon-Teme, the village is considered an excellent example of an Anglo-Saxon settlement situated some 600 feet up overlooking the River Teme along the ancient salt route that led from Droitwich to Leominster. CoT history11 The early inhabitants practised crop rotation on a communal system, using oxen to plough the land. Villagers let their pigs forage for food in Clifton Wood and gathered honey from local bees. The earliest surviving mention of the village is in the Latin charter of King Athelstan granting it to the monks of
St Peter's Monastery at Worcester in 934 AD when it is referred to as .... Clistun ultra Tame.

 

During the time of the wars with the Welsh, the Manor of Clifton became established and was granted Royal Borough status by Henry III in 1270, allowing it to hold a weekly market on Thursdays and an annual four-day fair. The original manor house, built around 1200 on the site of the present Lion Inn, eventually came to be used as a hostelry for travellers en route between Worcester and Tenbury Wells.

 

St Kenelm's Church

Village children outside St. Kenelm's Church c1900

 

There is mention of a priest in Clifton at the time of the Domesday survey. The church of St. Kenelm, one of only eight named after the Saxon boy King of Mercia murdered on the Clent Hills, dates back to the 13th century. CoT Church In the south aisle is an effigy of Sir Ralph de Wysham, a crusader knight whose son built Woodmanton Manor in 1325. The church spire was rebuilt in the 17th century after being blown down, and was struck by lightning in 1884 when it was replaced by the present wooden spire. Over the doorway inside hangs a Royal Achievement indicating that Clifton was once a Royal Borough.

Church Road c1930

 

The manor of Clifton passed to the Winnington family of Stanford Court in the 18th century, and the village remained part of Stanford Court Estate until 1932 when most of the houses and farms were sold by auction when part of the estate was put up for sale.


Village Green 1900

Clifton schoolchildren on the Village Green in 1900


    Latest Update: 9 July 2011


    Clifton-on-Teme: 100 Years Ago

    POST

    Since the formation of the Sub-Post Office at Shelsley Walsh there has been occasion for much complaint in regard to letters being much later in the morning, and the letter box closing earlier in the evening, besides letters being constantly mis-sent and delayed during transit through post. As a medium for remedying the unsatisfactory working of the arrangement a petition to the Worcester Postmaster is being signed, praying him to have letters despatched directly to and from Clifton as heretofore.


    CoT history12

    The Lion Hotel


    Clifton-on-Teme: 100 Years Ago

    ACCIDENT

    On Monday evening Mr Ernest Skyrme met with a somewhat serious accident. He was leading a colt which was being broken from Ham Farm to the Hill when the animal became restive and kicked Mr Skyrme in the face and back. The kick he received on his back was delivered with such force as to cut the whole of his clothing through to his flesh. Happily Mr Yarnold happened to be driving from the Ham Mill Weir towards Clifton when, lying in the road, an hour after the accident, he found Mr Skyrme in a semi-conscious condition. With the assistance of Mr E. Haywood he was raised into the trap and driven to the Hill Farm where he was attended by Dr. Hinings.


     

    CoT History

    Clifton-upon-Teme 1900

    Clifton-on-Teme: 100 Years Ago

    EARTHQUAKE

    few inhabitants of Clifton were startled on Thursday morning at three o’clock by a slight shock of earthquake. At 5.30 there was a repetition in a very sever form, which was apparently felt by all throughout the district. It was close followed by lightning and a peal of thunder.

     


    Primary School

    The Primary School


    Clifton-on-Teme: 100 Years Ago

    At a cost of upwards of £20 an exquisite new white silk altar cloth has been purchased for Clifton church, which for the first time adorned the Communion table on Easter Sunday morning. The cost is not fully paid, but a bazaar will be held at the Vicarage during the summer months in aid of the altar cloth fund.